Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Your Shot: National Geographic's Photo Sharing Platform and Contest

National Geographic has been in the business of publishing pictures that capture the eye, and show us some of the amazing sights in the world around us. I still remember a number of these cover images I have seen over the years... an not just because my office also doubles as library storage for schools collection of Nat Geo's that dates back to 1955!

National Geographic has been famous for it talented photographers, but in recent years we have seen them offering opportunities to amateur photographers around the world with their annual photo contest they have sponsored  for people to capture images from their travels. Take a look at the link below to see some of the winners from the past:


To celebrate the 125th anniversary of the magazine has launched a new photography community and contest. The contest is to capture images to "Explore our Changing World," and its deadline is October 22. The photo sharing platform, called Your Shot, has already attracted 300,000 members in it first month according to David Strege's Into the Wild Blog.


To enter the contest, join the community, or just explore pictures visit the Your Shot page of the National Geographic site. Your Shot offers tips from veteran photographers, as well as an incredible library of photos you can explore.

Here is one of the covers I still remember seeing in my school library way back in 1985. I was 9 when I first saw it, and it still comes to mind when I think of this magazine.


No comments:

Post a Comment